About the B&B
Built in 1909 by J.H. Chancellor, the Katy House is a sentimental favorite of the people of Smithville and Bastrop County. The house is named for the old "Katy" railroad line (the Missouri Kansas & Texas Railroad) which built into the area on its way to Houston and the Port of Galveston.
Local folks still commonly refer to the landmark old home as the Stephens' house after a well-known former owner, Dr. J.D. Stephens. A railroad division surgeon who moved to Smithville in 1937, the doctor modified the first floor to serve as his clinic and housed a laboratory in the half-bathroom under the stairway.
The Katy's Italianate exterior is graced by an arched portico set over the bay-windowed living room. Elegant Georgian columns reflect the home's early 1900's origin. Long-leaf pine floors, pocket doors. Battenburg lace and a graceful staircase accent the handsome interior. Many good memories live here.
The inn's historic character is complemented by modern conveniences. All rooms have their own televisions and private baths. There is also free wireless Internet throughout the inn.
The Katy House is located one block from historic Main Street, and Smithville is between the towns of LaGrange and Bastrop, in Central Texas.